Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Parenting a 2 year old ain't for sissies.

So we are in week 2 of the Great Return to Work.  So far the family is surviving, however there has been some minor head trauma.  My son has taken to throwing objects at my head (pointed and or heavy items preferred). He also throws and slams his toys regularly, but usually in the late afternoon or evenings (when I think he's probably tired).   I would attribute this to daycare, but he started this behavior about 3 weeks ago and has been in daycare 2 weeks. 

To remedy the situation we have been taking the toys away that he repeatedly throws.  Our pantry now looks more like a toy store supply closet than any pantry.  We have also been having him sit in time out for two minutes at a time when he hits one of us.  He sits for the time (usually) calling "mama! mama! mama!" in a pathetic voice.  But I remain steely because this is the same human being who has just pitched a train at my head and laughed as I teared up from the pain.

I will give the boy a little credit, things have improved over the last two days, but my sweet cooperative little boy seems to have left the building.  I don't want to become the NO Monster and send him to time out every half hour.  I am working hard on my patience and trying to love this little phase out of him.  Turning 2, starting daycare and missing his mama are big challenges to this little person. 

But why does he have to take it out on me?!?  Honestly, I was excited to come to work on Monday morning (even the getting up at 6 am part) because I knew I wouldn't have to deal with my son.  Of course I miss him when we are apart.  But a part of me relishes the time apart when I am not on "mommy mode".  And if that makes me a bad mommy, well then sign me up for the club. 

Parenting a 2 year old ain't for sissies.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like a "no" monster with my daughter! I'm trying the No, you can't do this, but you can do that" method, but its not working yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ShareThis