Sunday, September 21, 2008

Equally Shared Parenting is totally do-able.

Equally Shared Parenting has a great piece about giving up the mommy pay-off. Meaning, mothers giving up their role as number one parent, and sharing the honor with their co-parent.

I am amazed by how my partner has stepped up to be a truly involved and invested parent, and a super Daddy. I think now we are pretty darn close to being equal in the time and energy we put into our parenting. I do probably have more hours, just because I'm home with the boy two weekdays, but on the weekends that may balance out. I cannot imagine trying to work part time, train for the Breast Cancer 3 Day, study for the GRE (and other grad school-related activities) with the cooperation of a willing partner. I do not know ow other women tackle all work outside the home and then turn around and do all the parenting and housework. It seems impossible and unjust to me.

Now, I do handle 90% of the household stuff, minus most yard work and the trash/recycling. Although this week I did mow the lawn. But this is just our deal. In turn I don't shovel snow, worry about the bills, or deal with car-related tasks.

It seems as my plate gets fuller, so does my partner's plate. That just seems like the only way love and true respect could make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ShareThis