Monday, March 22, 2010

Choose or Lose

As trite as it might sound to some, everyday really is the first day of the rest of your life. At any point in time you can change your direction, your purpose, your attitude. I come to all this feel-good sloganism honestly, it's central to who I am and what I believe. I am an optimist who believes that you choose your life. I don't mean that if you think or wish real hard you can get everything in your wildest dreams, like The Secret. I mean that you choose your attitude. You choose how you spend your time.

Before you say, "No, I HAVE to go to work. I HAVE to clean my house. I HAVE to take care of the yard...." Think about it. You made a decision to have the job you have. You made a decision to own your home and to keep a certain standard of cleanliness. You choose to care about your grass and gardens. You could just as easily spend all your waking time smoking crack or feeding the hungry or writing comic books. You could choose to sell or give away all your positions and live in a tent in the woods. You could choose to run away from your family and live in some other city and start a new life with a new name. You could choose to go back to school. You could choose to let the weeds grow.

Just some food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. If you re-frame all of your to-dos with "get to" fold the laundry, pick up the kids, re-load the dishwasher, it helps to change frame of mind. There are lots of people who have a pretty rough life, and if you consider all of the abundance in your life they compile all of the things you "get to do." You get to watch your child laugh hysterically while you make silly faces, loading the dishwasher 50 times a week seems like a small tax for something so spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ShareThis